These exam centres have either taken external candidates in the past, or have indicated that they would consider it.
Please feel free to add or edit information - we rely on the home-ed community to keep this up to date. It's easiest to edit if you create a Wikia account first, but you could also just leave a comment below and we'll add any centres mentioned to the main list.
If you can reach North and East London then you will have more options - see our list of London exam centres.
- Aylesbury Grammar School Walton Road, Aylesbury HP21 7RP is accepting PCs at £120 per subject. [2018?]The hitch is that they need the application in by 15th December and they may not accept the application. It depends on what it is you are wanting your child to sit.
- Maple Education Centre Maple House, 74 Oxford Road, Aylesbury, Bucks, HP178PL, Aylesbury. formerly Aylesbury Kip McGrath centre. The venue is small and the kids felt comfortable; if you have a child who has school related issues they should be comfortable here. Will accommodate most boards and papers. Local home-educators have been using this exam centre for many years. Some really like it and recommend it and others have had bad experiences, such as lack of information and even being entered for the wrong exam or given the wrong exam paper. As with any exam centre, you need to double-check all entry details, and ensure your child knows to ask for help if they think there is a mix-up on the day.
- Abbey College, Abbey Road, Hollow Lane, Ramsey PE26 1DG. "Abbey College does accept External Candidates if they are over 16 and the exam is not a controlled assessments/coursework or speaking unit. Please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org with your contact details, the Exam Board, and specification and unit codes. We will then send you a quote. "
- Cambridge Centre for Sixth-form Studies - CSS Lensfield Rd, Cambridge CB2 1EN £175 per subject.
- Hills Road Sixth Form College Cambridge CB2 8PE All boards. Efficient. £125 per summer I/GCSE, £135 winter (lower numbers so invigilation costs higher).
- IQ Plus Their exam info page is here 29 Alexandra Road, Peterborough, PE1 3DE. £160 for the subject which is on the expensive side.(13/1/18) Email:email@example.com Phone: 01733-551111
- Park House School Wisbech Road,Thorney, Peterborough,PE6 0SA On the expensive side, but they take private candidates. (13/1/18)
[The King's School in Ely tell me they can no longer take private candidates- 18th September 2017.]
- ACE Learning Clacton and Colchester. Tutorial centre which also offers online tuition for home-ed people. They will accept external candidates for Edexcel written-only exams, GCSE and IGCSE, and, excitingly, they will do ICT practicals. Fees depend on the the exam and how long it takes, number of papers etc, but most GCSEs and IGCSEs are £90 - £130 per qualification [January 2015]. They will accept A-level candidates for written exams only - different fees apply.
- Helena Romanes School Parsonage Downs, Great Dunmow CM6 2AU
- St Thomas More School for Boys. Westcliff-On-Sea, SS0 0BW. Edexcel and AQA - possibly other boards too. Has information specifically for external candidates online. No speaking exams or lab assessments. See website for costs. E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org Access Arrangments possible, see here
- Trinity Catholic High Woodford Green, IG8 0TP - exams officer on 0208 504 3419 x128
AQA lists the following additional centres in Essex as accepting external candidates (unconfirmed):
Seevic College, Runnymede Chase, Kiln Road, Thundersley, Benfleet, Essex, SS7 1TW. 01268 882 621
Guru Gobind Singh Khalsa College, Roding Lane, Chigwell, Essex, IG7 6BQ 020 8559 9160
Honywood Community Science School, Westfield Drive, Coggeshall, Essex, CO6 1PZ 01376 561 231
Teaseldown School, The Sugar Loaves, 175 Swan Street, Sible Hedingham, Halstead, Essex, CO9 3PX 01440 785 566
[New Rickstones Academy, Conrad Road, Witham, Essex, CM8 2SD 01376 515 756 No Sittings for external Candidates 2018]
[The Bromfords School in Wickford, SS12 - 2017: This school no longer accepts external candidates]
[Palmer's College in Grays, Essex 2017: The college now only accepts ex-pupils as external candidates]
- The Highfield School Letchworth Very helpful and accommodating exams officer Pauline Levett who can be contacted at email@example.com. They only accept Edexcel for Summer entries. They charge the cost of the exam, as charged by the exam board, plus a £15 admin fee per subject. Deadline for applications is 1st December (for the following Summer). Updated January 2018
- The John Warner School Hoddesdon EN11 0QF - Takes some Home educated children for GCSE and IGCSE exams. Approx £80 per paper. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org or phone Exams Department on 01992 462889.
- St Albans Independent College London Rd, St Albans AL1 1LN. AQA ,Edexcel ,OCR, WJEC. GCSE and IGCSE and A-level. Will do access arrangements including word processor. Contact for current prices. Updated November 2018. http://www.stalbanscollege.co.uk/contact-us/
- Watford Girls' Grammar school Lady's Close, Watford, Hertfordshire, WD18 0AE Accepts private candidates. Entries for summer exams need to be made by December 15th. Helpful page full of information for external candidates about deadlines, fees etc.
- East Norfolk Sixth Form College - Church Lane, Gorleston-on-Sea, Great Yarmouth, NR31 7BQ. 01493 662234. email@example.com They are AQA accredited for certain subjects.
- Norwich Hellesdon High School 187 Middleton's Lane, Norwich, NR6 5SB. Very accommodating and have the nicest and most helpful exam officer.
- Norwich School - 71A The Close, Norwich, NR1 4DD Telephone: 01603 728430 IGCSE: All subjects considered. January and May/June series. No coursework units, speaking exams or lab work.
- Thetford Grammar School Bridge Street, Thetford, IP24 3AF. Say they will accept private candidates; however they are not a Cambridge-registered school and so cannot take candidates for CIAE. Exams officer is Mr John Law (BEd); email address is firstname.lastname@example.org
- Wymondham High Academy, Folly Rd, Wymondham, NR18 0QT. Examination Officer - Caroline Cracknell. Totally professional and accommodating. Excellent communication and help given. Highly recommend. GCSEs and iGCSEs. CracknellC@wh-at.net
[Attleborough Academy Norfolk - NO LONGER ACCEPTS EXTERNAL CANDIDATES - JANUARY 2017]
- Thomas Gainsborough School - Great Cornard, Suffolk, CO10 0JU
Contact: Tony Marshall, Examinations Officer Email: email@example.com Telephone: 01787 314311
- West Suffolk College - IP33 3RL
Tel 01284 701301.
Alde Valley School
Leiston Suffolk IP16 4BG